In the BLR offices, we are about to embark on a major spring cleaning. All the carpets will be professionally cleaned, the office nooks and crannies made to sparkle, and—hopefully—desks, drawers, and cabinets decluttered. These workplace-wide cleaning sprees can be great opportunities for providing information to employees on office recycling efforts, office equipment reuse, and paper use reduction. Here are some tips for getting employees engaged in environmental friendly cleaning.
- Select one day during which spring cleaning will occur so everyone will be in the cleaning spirit.
- Use natural cleaning products and tout their benefits.
- Provide paper recycling bins—and information about why recycling is a must.
- Set up a "swap" area where underused office tools (staplers, scissors, extra paper clips) can be placed for others to pick up. One employee's castaway may be another employee's treasure.
- Encourage employees to "clean" up their computer desktops as well, to improve productivity and computer efficiency.
- Supply a small reward either at lunch or during a break time. It doesn't have to be much, but a nice cupcake when the cleaning is done is a great surprise!
Are you spring cleaning in your office this year? What tips do you have to make an officewide cleaning spree a success?